HSI grants and research development efforts allow UArizona to thoughtfully and equitably expand and enhance academic offerings, the quality of programs and services, and our institutional capacity to better serve students from diverse backgrounds.
Receiving HSI designation from the U.S. Department of Education does not provide additional secured funding. Instead, institutions who apply annually and are granted HSI status are eligible to compete for funding opportunities available to HSIs and Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs). Since first receiving HSI designation in 2018, the office of HSII has directly supported proposal development resulting in $31 million in awarded funding for UArizona.
In January 2022, UArizona implemented a tracking mechanism through UAccess Research to track HSI related proposal activity.
HSII Grants and Research Development Support
HSII supports a variety of HSI related grants and research development activities throughout the institution. Our office works to identify and evaluate funding opportunities and connect them with prospective PIs and teams. Depending on the funding opportunity, we also work closely with teams during the proposal development phase.
- Consultations with individuals or teams to identify and evaluate HSI related funding opportunities
- Proposal development strategies
- Assistance identifying and requesting institutional data that strengthen proposal arguments
- Narrative assistance with regards to HSI designation and initiatives
- Proposal team formation support